Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Job and Job ( Read to the end and you'll get it.)

     There have been so many thoughts swirling around in my mind today that would have made interesting reading, but I just heard something on the local news that superseded my other ideas.  After being a stay-at-home mom for almost  8 years I have begun the process of looking for a job again. I am an early childhood teacher. I have kept my certification current, and I have a good reputation in the district I left,  but the process is still a bit intimidating.  I haven't had to look for a job in almost 20 years!  I'm starting a resume from scratch, filling out online applications, and acquiring references.  Of course I would like to go back to my old district where I'm familiar with the schools, district administration, and colleagues with whom I still keep in contact.  Ideally I would like to work at the school my two youngest children will be attending.
     Big problem:  This district is in a severe budget crisis this year.  Teachers have taken furlough days, there is no money for substitutes, and for Christmas I gave my child's teacher copy paper because there is none in the school.  (It was a welcomed gift.)  Today on the news it was announced that this district just cut another $1.5 million dollars from the budget this afternoon.  National Board supplement money was taken from teachers.  That includes child #2's teacher who just earned National Board Certification this year, and trust me:  she deserves extra pay for the love and patience she shows my child! Coaching supplements were cut out, and vacant positions will not be filled.  They will announce tomorrow what positions have been CUT
     Wow....this is disheartening considering their job fair is next month.  I can't imagine them hiring new teachers, unless there is a mass exodus of teachers to neighboring districts that are not suffering this badly.  I had already planned on applying to one of the neighboring districts for this reason, and now I know that I would be foolish not to do so.
I know that I will be where I am supposed to be when August comes, but the uncertainty makes me a little concerned.  I'll take it as another challenge!

NOW FOR WHAT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR:

      I've been reading Job and have finally caught up.  Job's situation makes my problems seems so minuscule.  He went through more suffering than I could ever imagine, but didn't lose his faith in God.  Now, he was honest with God and told Him exactly how he felt, but in Job 19:25 he said, "I know that my Redeemer lives." Job's friends seemed annoying and not much help.  I'm thankful that as I've walked through some dark places lately I've had a handful of friends that have walked beside me encouraging me, just listening to me ramble and cry, and speaking the truth to me, albeit painful sometimes.  If you're reading this you're probably one of those people!  I love you, and will never forget the love you've shown me.

Job 23: 8-9  "But if I go to the east, God isn't there. If I go to the west, I don't find him.  When he's working in the north, I don't see him there. When he turns to the south, I don't see him there either."
Reminds me of a popular Hip Hop song....see if you can guess it.


The song is "Dead and Gone" by T.I.  Here are some of the lyrics:
I turn my head to the East--I don't see nobody by my side.  I turn my head to the West--Still nobody in sight.
So I turn my head to the North-- Swallow that pill that they call pride, 
That old me is dead and gone, But that new me will be alright.

I've been travellin' on this road too long-- Just tryna find my way back home. The old me is dead and gone, dead and gone.  

Not a bad message for secular music.

How that passage ends in Chapter 23, though, is the most meaningful passage I have read so far in all of the long chapters in Job. Here it is:
10 But He knows every step I take. When He has put me to the test, I'll come out as pure as gold. 

It's hard to remember that when I'm going through the fire, but I have to believe that it's true. A random FB friend who is a pastor sent me a scripture this morning, and he has no idea what's going on in my life.   (James 1:2-4 NIV) Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, {3} because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. {4} Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  It's definitely a time of trials, testing, and refining for me.....but to be as pure as gold?  It will be worth it.



Bible Humor of the Day:  
(I read from the New International Reader's Version)
Job's statement in 19:17  "My wife can't stand the way my breath smells."

On top of everything else his wife thought he had bad breath!


Happy Tuesday!  Tomorrow is hump day!  The children and the puppy will be here for a week.  I'm sure I'll have a lot to write about.



3 comments:

  1. Once again...I've done nothing that you wouldn't have done for me if the shoe was on the other foot. It's what friends that are like sisters do for each other and it is my honor!
    Believe it or not...I've learned a lot walking with you as well. I've learned that there are some things I could do better in ministry, at home, in friendships and at work.
    I love you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to think that before I would have responded the same way to a friend, but now I know that I would. I have learned so much about what being a true friend is....from those who have been, and even from those who haven't been. I am blessed. Curse those 400 miles!

    ReplyDelete